I'm still very young and nothing really "life-changing" has happened to me. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.. Perhaps it's a little of both. But there are some things that have helped define who I am.
One thing I could write about is how I came to be so passionate about food, nutrition, and healthy living. It's a big part of who I am now. I'm a vegetarian and I do my best to eat mostly healthy food (moderation, not perfection...plus desserts are pretty much my favorite thing ever). There are so many lies fed from the food industry to the world and I want to help spread the truth. I think nutrition is fascinating and I can't wait to start my path and become a certified health coach.
Another thing I could write about is how my dad moving across the country has impacted my life. When I was only in about second or third grade, my dad transferred from NIU to Penn State to be a grad-student and get some other degree. That's a lot of miles and a whole time zone away from here, which is a lot for a little girl to take in. Ever since, I've only been able to see him during Christmas Break and for a week every summer. I think this situation helped me grow up a lot quicker. It also caused me to have some commitment and trust issues, which I'm just starting to get over. Fortunately my dad and I have always been on good terms and we still talk on a regular basis. But as I get older things get more awkward. Most of our conversations are about school and movies or books. At the end of the day, though, I love my dad and I've never been upset with him for living that far away from me. It's kind of nice not having to live a double life and switch houses every weekend, like a lot of other kids with divorced parents do. And I also have an awesome step-dad, so it's kind of like I get two dads, which is pretty cool.
The problem with both of these ideas is that they aren't really stories. So I'm not sure where I'd begin with either of them. I like them both equally so I'm not sure which to choose. I didn't realize how much I had to say about the second until I started writing. This might be silly, but I'm afraid if I choose the second, my dad will eventually read it and it will make him sad, and I don't want that. I also don't know if either of them would pass the "so what?" test. I'm very indecisive..
Your idea about nutrition and food is intriguing. I think this certainly passes the "So what?" test. Depending on how you write it, it can be a blend of information (logos) and personal experience and how it has affected you (pathos).
ReplyDeleteYour second one seems good, too. I think the second one would be a little tougher to manage, but you could almost focus in on a moment or a few moments that defined your relationship and how his moving changed who you are today.
They are both very interesting. I think both could easily be made into stories. It's all about how you come up with a moment(s) that define each. I think the first would be tougher to turn into a story the more I think about it. That might be a better topic for something research-wise. As for worrying about your dad reading the writing, I wouldn't worry as much about that as finding something that you could write that is meaningful. The second one would certainly pass a "So what?" test, so long as you write it in a way that others might be able to relate. I think there are plenty of people that might be able to relate to this sort of situation, and it may make them think about their own situations.