Because we've been on summer break for the last two and a half months, I feel that I am a little rusty when it comes to writing. Hopefully it won't take long to get back on track. Besides that, when comparing my current writing abilities to those of a year ago, I feel confident that I've improved; however, there are many things I'd like to improve upon further. Firstly, I need to get a handle on my procrastination problems (yes, I've still got those...*sigh*). Getting on top of assignments right away is my biggest goal for this year. I'd also like to continue learning about the use of correct grammar, and I want to expand my vocabulary as well. For example, I need to discover some new substitues for the word "however." Another thing I have trouble with is knowing where to separate my ideas into paragraphs. I have a tendency to just write one huge paragraph that jumps all over the place, and that's an issue. One thing I feel better about, though, is the process of writing. Taking Honors III last year helped me out a lot in that. I learned that I need to start with a general idea of what I'm going to write about, form more ideas with a graphic organizer of some kind, and also revise, revise, and revise some more. And not just in English classes - all of my classes! That's something I've never quite grasped until now.
I'm really excited that I have the opportunity to take this class, as well as psych and speech. It makes me feel like I'm a step ahead for once. I think this is going to prepare me for college much better than regular English 4. I am still a bit sad that I didn't get to take AP...I had been looking forward to that since freshman year. But honestly I think this class will be great. It will definitely be a lot of work, but it will be worth it. I'm looking forward to learning about different types of essays, and also expanding my knowlege and writing skills.
The summer shouldn't throw you off too much. I bet once we start that first essay, you'll find your writing voice in your back pocket.
ReplyDeleteAs far as procrastination goes, I'm not sure I can help you with that. That's something you'll have to work on. I think the multi-draft process is a way to try and kill that habit. The way this class is set-up, you'll be forced to keep up or else you'll fall behind.
You're not the first person to mention vocabulary. I'm considering doing some grammar work in English 102 and focus on grammar for English 101.
I'm sad about AP, too. So sad.