Now that we've finally made it to writing an essay about controversial topics, I think I would like to write about artifical sweeteners. Originally I wanted to write about this for my informative essay, but realized that it was too argumentative of a topic. Now that the whole point of the essay is to persuade the reader, I would like to discuss the dangers of artificial sweeteners and try to persuade the reader not to consume them. My stance on artificial sweeteners comes from something that happened when I was still in elementary school. My mother had been drinking a Diet Pepsi at work and had a seizure. After undergoing some tests they decided that it had been caused by an allergic reaction to the aspartame found in the soda. For a while she switched to only using Splenda (sucralose), until that caused her to experience migraines as well. Meanwhile, the artificial sweeteners triggered headaches for me too. Finally we threw out and stopped buying anything with an artificial sweetener in its ingredients. Now artificial sweeteners are like taboos in my home. Since then, I've done my own research about these fake sugars. I don't like anything I've read. They actually could be linked to many health problems and diseases. Also tests have shown that they actually make people want to eat more, causing more weight gain. With more thorough research I think I could write a really good essay on this topic. It's something I feel very strongly about and I'd really like to share what I know.
My backup topic is factory farming. This is also a topic that I am against. It is one of the contributing factors to my vegetarianism. I don't know a ton about it, but I've read some really graphic horror stories. From what I've read so far, I believe that factory farming is cruel, unsafe, unsanitary, and disgusting. I would definitely need to do some more research on this topic, but I think I would be able to sway the readers with what I have to say.
Either of my topics would work for this essay, but I think the first would be best. I already have such a strong opinion on it that I would be able to say more. The second topic is important to me as well, but the first affects so many people. I really want to share the information and help some people out.
I remember you wanting to focus on your first idea for the informative essay. I think this would make for a good argumentative paper. There's plenty of information out there about the effects of them on the human body. It would be an intriguing argument to make and one that is very important.
ReplyDeleteI'd go with this one. See if you can find anything. If the research lacks, maybe go with the second one.
10/10