For my informative essay I think I want to write about the dangers of artificial sweeteners, such as Aspertame or Splenda. To me, this a very interesting topic. It's also one that people really need to know more about. I've read up on this topic a lot already, and am still amazed by all of the health problems linked to artificial sweeteners. The terms "sugar-free" and "zero-calorie" are everywhere and people think those terms make a food or drink healthy, but in reality it makes it very unhealthy. I think that if I write this paper well, it could help educate people. The problems with this topic are: 1. People might not want to believe what I have to say; and 2. It's something I feel very strongly about so I fear that I will unintentionally insert my own opinion.
For my essay I think I will start with what exactly an artifical sweetener is, and give some examples. I'll discuss the dangers of consuming these sweeteners, and also where they can be found (both in obvious places and also sneaky ones). I'd also like to discuss the companies that manufacture the sweeteners, and how everything is really kind of sketchy. For example, the makers of Aspertame fund a lot of medical associations, so they aren't allowed to say anything bad about the product, even though it could be making their patients sick.
I definitely need to do a lot of research to get some solid information on this topic, but in the end I think it will be easy for me to write about, and I'm excited to share the knowlege with people later.
Be careful with this topic idea that you don't go TOO far into a persuasive essay. It almost sounds like it could veer too much that way. If you tackle this idea, just be careful to keep to the facts. It would certainly be interesting to read since a good chunk of my life I've ingested a heck of a lot of these. I fear the damage I've done to my brain thanks to diet soda and other artificial sweeteners. You could discuss alternatives like stevia, too.
ReplyDelete