I don't consider myself that great of a writer. For some reason in elementary school I thought I was a great writer. But as I got older I slowly began to realize the truth of the matter. I think my main issue is making things flow nicely. I also wish I had a better vocabulary. I'm really trying to work on that. I enjoy talking to people who use awesome, interesting words in normal conversation and in their writing and I want to be like that too.
This year I'm determined to get past the fear of writing and quit cringing every time something is assigned. I'm looking forward to making progress in the quality of my writing and preparing for what I'll face in college.
I think the portfolio assignment is a really great idea. It will definitely be a lot of work, but it will be worth it. I think I'll learn a lot and get some real writing practice. I don't quite understand all of the details, but I'm all for it.
Besides that I'm excited to read all of the books mentioned in the syllabus. I love to read and I've heard good things about most of those books, and some I've never even heard of. I'm excited about this class and am looking forward to the rest of the year.
I agree with your consensus on writing: it's something that really intimidates a lot of people. My beginnings are pretty tough, too. I find the more prepared I am, the more I think about a topic, and the more pre-writing I do the better I feel about writing an actual essay.
ReplyDeleteWe'll be studying vocabulary in this class. One way to work on that is to read a lot. I learned a lot of "big words" from reading as much as I possibly could. When I run across a word I don't know, I look it up. That way I'm more prone to learn what the word means and retain it for later use.
Glad to hear you love reading! We'll be doing lots of it as the year goes by! Glad to see that it should be a heck of a year!